One element that must be present in all marketing endeavors is the author. Authors must be participants in all marketing programs, even the authors interviewed on Carpinello's Writing Pages. Those authors who promote and reply to comments on this blog have an exceptionally high viewership compared to those who sit back and don't participate.
When Sons of the Sphinx released in October 2014, I decided to explore marketing resources outside of ones I'd used for previous books. I did consider price, first and foremost, and then looked at what other authors in similar genres were using. I also explored companies that engaged me on Twitter and on Facebook. It is not possible to tie sales directly to any one marketing tool, but my sales using all of these resources has led to increased sales—in books I wasn't specifically promoting—and in the sale of classrooms sets of Sons of the Sphinx directly from Createspace.
Here are a list of the resources I've used in 2014/2015. Many are offering specials for the fall, so check out the website/FB page. These are just suggestions, not guarantees. Remember that marketing resources only work as hard as the author. Also, marketing is not done in a vacuum. It performs best when used with multiple avenues.
My Family's Heart - Sons of the Sphinx Book Tour.
Loving the Book Launch Party - Sons of the Sphinx Release FB Party; Back-to-School special.
Tweet Your Book - On Twitter @TweeetYourBook_ - Using for all of my books.
Double Decker Books - Sons of the Sphinx Book Blast/Review Tour.
Aroma's Authors - FB promotion site for all of my books.
Mother/Daughter Book Reviews - Always one of my favorites. Used multiple times.
Facebook Ads - Targeting the correct audience is essential here.
Once again, there is no guarantee of sales with the above marketing resources. I believe, though, that it is essential for writers to share what is working for them so other authors at least have a starting point. Authors need to determine what their marketing strategy is and do the research on promotional companies before signing. Also, the above companies are just some that I have used.
Welcome to the 64th Kid Lit Blog Hop where we continue to develop a dynamic and engaged community of children's books bloggers, authors, publishers, and publicists.
On this Hop, Carpinello's Writing Pages interviews
*** Please note that we will only be hosting 1 Kid Lit Blog Hop during the months of July and August. These will take place on the 3rd Wednesday of each month (July 15 and August 19). We will be returning to our normal schedule (the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month) beginning in September. The next Kid Lit Blog Hop will take place September 2.
Happy Hopping everyone and enjoy the Hop!
Kid Lit Blog Hop Rules *Please Read*
1. Link up any Kid Lit related post in the Kid Lit Blog Hop. This can be a link to a children’s book review, a discussion about children’s literature/literacy, or a post on a recently-read children’s book or one that you love from your childhood.
* Don't link directly to your blog, it must be a specific post.*
* For Authors, we prefer you to link to your blog if you have one. Please link unique posts each time ~ no repeats please. *
* Make sure you include an image relevant to the POST (e.g., book cover), not your blog button or photo of yourself.*
* Feel free to link more than one post.*
2. Please visit AT LEAST the TWO LINKS from the Kid Lit Blog Hop directly ahead of your own and leave them some love in the form of a comment. We are trying to build a community of bloggers, readers, parents, authors, and others who are as passionate about children’s literature as we are so please CONNECT and follow any or all of the blogs that interest you!
3. If you like, grab the button above and put it somewhere on your blog, preferably the post you're linking up. If you'd prefer, you can just add a text link back to this Hop so that others can find it and check out all these great book links!
4. It would really help us get the word out about the Kid Lit Blog Hop if you would be so kind as to tweet, share, and spread the word about the Hop!