Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Meet Children's Author Marti Dumas

Carpinello's Writing Pages welcomes from the Big Easy children's author Marti Dumas.

First, a bit about Marti:

Marti Dumas is a native New Orleanian with a passion for storytelling. When she is not teaching or parenting, she is reading or writing. She prefers to do some combination of the above within view of ancient oak trees or the banks of the river. Or both.

Why did you pick to write books for children?

I loved to read as a child. My fondest memories are of being in some unlikely nook or cranny reading The Swiss Family Robinson or The Chronicles of Narnia and the like. As I grew up, my taste expanded but, much to my own surprise, I’ve never stopped reading or loving children’s books. So when I started writing I didn’t even think about it. Stories for children are just what come naturally from my brain.

What types of books do you like to read?

I love fantasy stories, particularly ones that feature plucky and/or bookish girls.

When you are not writing, what do you like to do?

When I’m not writing I love going on adventures with my children. Sometimes we’re traveling to new places. That might mean discovering a new part of the zoo together or a new part of the country (last summer we went to the Smoky Mountains—spectacular). But other times adventuring means that we’re all curled up on the sofa reading together or discovering new digital worlds in role playing video games.

Tell us about Jaden Toussaint, the Greatest and how the story came to be.

Jaden Toussaint, the Greatest is series of stories that I’m writing for my son with a character that is roughly based on him. Jaden is a kindergarten genius who uses science and ninja dancing to solve his problems. They’re pretty funny and perfectly suited for kids who are old enough to feel wiser than Jaden Toussaint, but young enough to still see where he’s coming from.

Here's a peek at Jaden Toussaint, the Greatest, Episode 1: The Quest for Screen Time:

Giant Afro. Even Bigger Brain. Animal Scientist. Great Debater. Master of the art of ninja dancing. There's nothing Jaden Toussaint can't do. A 5 year-old scientist and all around cool dude, Jaden is on a mission to convince the grown-ups that he needs more SCREEN TIME. His only weapons are science, ninja dancing, and his super-powered brain power. Can Jaden Toussaint get the grown-ups to change their minds?

Have you written other books? If so, tell us a bit about them.

Yes! I have also written a fantasy story about a little girl who gets sucked into a mirror and becomes a wolf on the other side. It’s called Jala and the Wolves, and it’s a great starter book for young people who might be interested in fantasy.

What’s next for your writing? Are you working on a new story?

Also, yes. Right now I’m co-writing a fantasy series with another writer. These stories are meant for older kids—say 8 to 13—and are filled with lot of action and cool fantasy elements. Hint: In this series humans and faeries are technically the same species.

What advice do you have for other authors?

Write because you love it. Write even when you don’t love it. And never doubt that you can make a living doing what you love.

Anything else you want readers to know?

If you sign up to my mailing list you can check out a couple of my books for free. Sign up at: http://www.martidumasbooks.com/#!meet-marti-dumas-fb/n6lh5.

Where can readers find you and your books?

Everywhere books are sold, including Amazon and Barnes and Noble. And if your local bookshop doesn’t have them in stock, please ask them to order them!

My website
Twitter
Facebook
Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you, Marti. I am a reader and retired teacher and children's librarian. I tutor the primary-aged child now so always looking for new books that might be attractive to some of my kids. I have a girl who is soooo into super-powered characters that this might be a good choice. Thanks.
    ~ linda @ The Reader and the Book - https://thereaderandthebookreviews.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful to hear, Linda! Technically, JT's not super-powered, but he certainly thinks he is. I hope she likes it. :-)

      Delete