Friday, June 12, 2020

Great Summer Reads 2020, Day 10, with Becca McCulloch

 Carpinello's Writing Pages presents Day 10 of Loving the Book's Great Summer Reads with LDS writer Becca McCulloch. Becca writes fiction about LDS issues in the modern world.

So Enjoy Day 10!









Becca McCulloch is a wife, mother, professor, and writer but rarely in that order (if in any order at all). At night, she transitions from mild-mannered educator into mild-mannered artist, writing about LDS (Mormon) issues in a modern and complex world. In 2016, she won the Storymakers' First Chapter Contest/General Fiction category. In 2019, her novel, Hermana, was named the General Fiction category winner for the LDS Publishers Media Association.


Becca resides in Utah with her husband, 2 children, Great Dane, two cats, and a pesky, yet friendly raccoon that won't leave the outdoor shed.





WINNER! 2019 general fiction book of the year from the LDS Publishers Media Association.


Bookish and street-smart Lannie Lewis wants to be more than the child of a broken home who flunked out of music school. Full-time mission service will carry her away from the problems with her dad and immerse her hands in the work of God, or, it would if she’d stop hiding in the bathroom and wishing the island had better bug spray. When a disaster transforms her mission into a world of peril and overwhelming need, she will have to learn to hear the Lord’s voice for herself, even if it means she stands against the crowd. 

  

 


Top Ten List:

1. I won my first writing award at age 17 for a fictional letter Eliza Hamilton wrote her husband.
2. I kissed a senior boy under the mistletoe when I was a freshman. It was my first kiss.
3. I'm a foster mom (and I love it). I've mothered 9 children, though most don't live with me anymore.
4. I was friends with a man later killed by the CIA (true, I promise)
5. I worked for nearly a decade as a dietitian at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
6. I've always been politically active. In 1984, I refused to go to bed until the election for President was decided.
7. I have a lot of pets. We are one bunny away from being a petting zoo.
8. I can't grow plants. Indoor, outdoor, annual, perennial - I've killed them all.
9. I met my husband on an LDS dating site.
10. Like Lannie in Hermana, my mission was interrupted by a natural disaster (a hurricane).




To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page 






No comments:

Post a Comment