Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Meet Children's Author Gabrielle Mazur

Today we welcome Children's author Gabrielle Mazur to Carpinello's Writing Pages. Her children's book Boppy and Me is scheduled for release in late spring/early summer.


First a bit about Gabrielle: Gabrielle Mazur was raised in Detroit, MI. As a teen her family made a move to an outlying suburb, Milford. Growing up she was surrounded by a large family of musicians, artists, and writers. Gabrielle and her siblings were among the first families in Michigan to be schooled at home. This unique situation afforded her a very close relationship with her parents who encouraged creativity, especially writing. Gabrielle can vividly remember the frequent trips to the library to bring home stacks and stacks of books.

She settled in Gulf Shores, Alabama in the summer of 2008 with her husband, Paul, and young daughter.  As a dog-lover she and her husband have raised 3 huskies and currently have an Old English Bulldog. Her most treasured dreams are to travel the world and become a real live author.  


Why did you choose to write for children? 

I love that children's books use a collaboration of two mediums to make an impact: art and the written word. Until recently,  the allure of children's books was on the reading side for me. I've always been an avid reader. Even as a child. My favorite books that I read then made a long lasting impression. When my daughter was born I was pulled back into that magical realm once again. This time I didn't let go.

What types of books do you like to read?

Novels are my favorite. I enjoy a wide range of genres, actually, from Historical to Contemporary.  My first loves, though, were British classics. Really old books are the best! They are the first thing I look for at an antique store or garage sale. The faint musty smell and those yellowed pages are the beginning of my passage into another time and place. I love old books so much that I named my daughter, Lorna, after a favorite of mine, Lorna Doone.

When you are not writing, what do you like to do?

I'm a wife and mother before anything else in my life. So spending time with my family is super important to me. We live close to the Gulf of Mexico in Gulf Shores, AL. I love to go to the beach and chill out with my family and friends. My husband got me interested in photography; shooting the sunsets on the beach is amazing. We also love to cook for and laugh with our dear friends.

Tell us about Boppy and Me and how the story came to be.


Boppy and Me is a story from a young girls perspective about her buddy and grandfather, 
Boppy. My daughter, Lorna, has always had a very strong bond with her grandfather. In Boppy and Me she explains why they are so special to each other. It's a touching, true to life story with simply beautiful artwork.

I believe Boppy and Me is an important book for our time. Like so many moms, I had to go back to work after having my daughter. My folks helped me out so much by babysitting for me. I came to see a similar phenomenon all around me. So many grandparents caring for their grandkids while parents worked. So many little ones running into grandpa or grandma's arms after preschool or at the park.  I wanted to focus on this positive by-product of living in an economy that makes it necessary for both parents to work secularly. In this role grandparents are taking advantage of an opportunity to shape their grandkids young personalities, instill values, and forge deep family connections.


Have you written other books? If so, tell us a bit about them.

Boppy and Me is my first published work. I have other manuscripts waiting in the wings. There are many stories to tell.

What’s next for your writing? Are you working on a new story?

I just finished writing another children's book actually. It celebrates the uniqueness of an only child written in a whimsical rhyme. It was so much fun to write.

What advice do you have for other authors?

At risk of sounding like a swimming Disney character: Just keep writing.

Where can readers find you?

GabrielleMazurBooks.com

YouTube link to "Boppy and Me" book trailer: http://youtu.be/XcoCkg0AO7M

Connect with Gabrielle: 

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/GabrielleMazurBooks?ref=hl 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/GabrielleMazur
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=210580964&trk=hb_tab_pro_top
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/15510302-gabrielle-mazur

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your interview Gabrielle and Cheryl. There is something special about the everlasting bond between grandparents and grandchildren. Your book sounds lovely. Good Luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview. There are many kids who spend time w/ their grandparents while the parents work, so I can imagine that many kids will be able to relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    Thank you so much for hosting the Kid Lit Blog Hop!
    This looks like a fantastic book, and I love when there is an interview with a book review!
    Ang
    jugglingactmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely interview Cheryl and Congratulations to Gabrielle. Boppy and Me sounds wonderful. I too have seen first hand the wonderful relationship a grandparent can play in the life of a child, so I think this will be a great book to have on our bookshelf. Thanks for linking it in to the Kid Lit Blog Hop. Cheers Julie Grasso

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like such a sweet story. Thanks for linking your interview into the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this so much! Thanks, Cheryl! And a big thank you to everyone else for there kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing with us, Gabrielle!

    ReplyDelete