Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Meet MG Author Deema T. Kheiry

Carpinello's Writing Pages tries to include a variety of authors in our interviews. While we focus on children's/MG/YA authors, we do try to find authors from around the world to introduce to our readers. Today we visit with Deema T. Kheiry, a middle grade author from a part of the world unfamiliar to many of us. Please join me in welcoming Deema to Carpinello's Writing Pages.
 
First, here's a bit about Deema:
 
Hello there, I’m Deema! Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved immersing myself in a great book. A wonderful story can take you anywhere in the world, or even out of this world! Now, as a mother of two young girls, I have come to realize that it is more important than ever to create stories that develop a sense of self and encourage kids to love reading and learning new things, all while putting a smile on their faces and a glint in their eyes. When I am not hanging out with my family and friends, there is nothing I like more than to bring these magical stories to life, one word at a time! I have lived in and visited a lot of countries around the world throughout my life, but for the past thirteen years Dubai, UAE has been my home. It is where I spend time with my family, and where I dream up new magical stories to share with all of you…
 

Why did you pick to write books for MG readers?


Middle-Grade books encompass innocence, magic, and bright-eyed wonder. But, at the same time, they are the start of learning about more serious topics that exist in the world. For those who want a little bit of both, Middle-Grade is the best place to be.

What types of books do you like to read, and what do you do when you are not writing?

I love a good mystery myself. And I love to read books that take me into another world. Seeing how far the imagination can wander has always been fascinating to me. When I'm not writing, I enjoy spending time with my husband and two young girls. I also enjoy getting together with friends, seeing nature in all its beauty, and reading great books.

 
Tell us about The Book of Astoriya-The Land of the Blooming Forest and how the story came to be.
 
The Book of Astoriya-The Land of the Blooming Forest is book one of a four-book series. It actually started out as an attempt to write a short story for my daughter, then it just grew, and grew, and grew. And now here we are, a couple years later, with The Book of Astoriya Series!
 
What was important for me when writing the story was to have the main character, Sofie, as relatable to kids her age as possible. While there is plenty of magic and fantasy involved, Sofie, herself, uses her love of science and the things she has learned to get her through some sticky situations. Although it is subtle, I am hoping that this message will help kids to realize that the love of learning is magical in its own right.

Here's a peek at The Book of Astoriya-The Land of the Blooming Forest:


The Lands of Astoriya have been unveiled,
A magical journey shall be revealed…


Eleven-year-old Sofie is lost! What started out as an ordinary visit to the Community Library, ended with her thrust into a world that she never thought possible.
 
Armed only with the strange, dust-ridden book that sent her there, Sofie grapples to find her way back home.
 
But not all is as it seems in the Land of the Blooming Forest. Jasmine, Queen of the Fairies, needs help to save the land from a vicious, relentless enemy that seeks to plunge them all into a world of darkness. And Sofie is their only hope.
 
Follow Sofie as she fights to save The Land of the Blooming Forest, makes a few magical friends along the way, and discovers the long-hidden secret of Astoriya, and a secret of her own that she never knew she had…
 
How do you go about researching for your stories?
 
Most of the ideas I get for the stories I write are from glimpses of the experiences around me. I usually start out with an idea in my head, and as I start to write, it develops organically, as though the story wants to write itself.
        
Plenty of what I write is fictional, but when it comes to any facts that are written into the story, it is very important to me that they are accurate and factual. So, I do a lot of research from multiple sources to confirm those facts and then try to tie it all up in an easy-and-fun-to-read little bow.
 
Have you written other books? If so, tell us a bit about them.

The Book of Astoriya-The Land of the Blooming Forest is my first published novel. It has been quite the roller-coaster ride, and there is still plenty more to come!

What’s next for your writing? Are you working on a new story?


Right now, I’m finalizing book two of The Book of Astoriya Series, The Book of Astoriya-The Land of the Everlasting Sun. Once I’ve completed all four books, I’ll start work on another series I have in mind which will be a mixture of science fiction, mystery, and adventure. It will be set in the not-so-familiar historical places around the world to help bring attention to our deeply vast history.
 
What advice do you have for other authors?

Patience. Definitely, patience. It takes a lot of time and effort to write (and then rewrite) a good book. As tempted as an author is to put a book out there as quickly as possible, it is best to take the time to perfect it. It will all be worth it in the end.

Anything else you want readers to know?

If you are already reading Cheryl’s blog, then you already know just how incredible reading great books can be. So, all I have left to say is to keep doing what you’re doing, and enjoy the journey!

Where can readers find you and your books?

You can find more about me and my books on my website and social media pages, as well as subscribe for updates:

Website 
Goodreads 

The Book of Astoriya-The Land of the Blooming Forest is currently available as an E-book, a full color illustrated paperback and a grayscale paperback. You can find them on Amazon, as well as other marketplaces.

For a full list of marketplaces, you can visit this link here:
Find My Books | Deema Kheiry- Author





No comments:

Post a Comment