Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Meet Children's Author JD Wise on his Pump Up Your Book Tour

 

 
 
Here's  a bit about JD Wise: 
 
JD Wise is a West Virginian-born author who believes that the world can be changed for the better, by one person, one time, doing the right thing.
 
“Just think what would happen if we all did that,” said Wise.
 
Wise is happily married to the love of his life. Together, they have four wonderful children, who are the true inspiration for the book.
 
He is also camera-shy!
 
Why did you pick to write books for children/MG/YA?
 
My first children's book A Child Called YOU started out as an art project that I was playing around with one day, and it just bloomed into a book.
 
"I like to see the face of smiling children who love to read! The satisfaction this brings is truly amazing. I spend my time thinking of new book ideas and how I can use my work to inspire the younger generation all around the world."

What types of books do you like to read, and what do you do when you are not writing?
 
I think that the only books that I have read in the last few years have been picture books (I have a four year old).  It's Not Easy Being a Bunny by Marilyn Sadler is our number one book. When I'm not writing, I spend a lot of time in the woods and outdoors. I work in my garden and keep the yard up.
 
Tell us about Nomophobia and how the story came to be. 
 
Nomophobia is a book about 3 modern-day children who are addicted to their cell phones.  The thought process started when I was at the doctor's office with one of my children. The waiting room was full that day. The nurse called one child but he would not go in until the game on the phone was over. Another time, a boy in the family told his grandma that he didn't need to learn how to tell time because if he wanted to know what time it was - then he'd just ask the phone.
 
Nomophibia is a somewhat true, mostly exaggerated story of modern-day children - children who have spent way too much time on their phones.
 
Here's a peek at Nomophobia:
 

Hello, Reader. My name is Joe. Welcome to NOMOPHOBIA. This is a somewhat true, mostly exaggerated story of myself and my siblings. We use to spend all day, every day on our phones. TEXT. CHAT. TWEET. PLAY A GAME. REPEAT. That's how we spent our day. At least that was until... our overused smart phones mysteriously turned us into ogres.
 
 
 
How do you go about researching for your stories?
 
This story was very easy to research. Children are always on their phones. You can go anywhere, at any time, and find a kid on a phone. The fit starts when you try to take away the phone to have them do something else. Doors slam, feet stomp, the ogre appears.
 
Have you written other books? if so, tell us a bit about them.
 
Yes. My first book is A Child Called YOU published by Mascot Books. This book is about You. The reader, you. This book displays kindness without judgment for everyone. It also talks about celebrating our differences and doing so is the true expression of kindness that we all need. A Child Called YOU is the recipient of a Mom's Choice Award, as well as a Reader's Favorite award.

What's next for your writing?  Are you working on a new story? 
 
I am presently working on a few other books. Wonderful, Mighty, Me is the second book in the Kindness is for Everyone series. I hope to release it in the summer of 2022. 
 
What advice do you have for other authors? 
 
Use the rejections you receive to your advantage. Once you've completed your manuscript, use the buddy system and let someone critique your work. Don't be easily offended.
 
Anything else you want your readers to know?
 
I wrote Nomophobia to inspire kids to look beyond what their phones have to offer. There is way more to life than a screen. Thanks for reading! Don't forget to pick up a copy of  Nomophobia.
 
Where to find the author and his book:
 

Visit JD Wise on Instagram and Facebook.

 
Find his books on:

Amazon




No comments:

Post a Comment